29 March 2010

I have Spring Fever


I'm starting to feel that itch to be outside. The weather is slowly getting warmer (and then colder again, but that's Colorado's weather for you). I have in mind to do some back yard renovating, I've been watching a lot of HGTV. We had a quote to put down pavers to expand the size of our back patio area but I didn't feel it was necessary as we don't spend a ton of time back there to begin with. That said, I still feel we need to upgrade the look of our poor plain concrete slab. I think an inexpensive update would include a couple boxes of slate tile and a bag of grout (which we probably have on hand already). We've laid tile in our dining and kitchen so this should be a piece of cake. 


I want to pick up an inexpensive umbrella for our mini patio table (saw some really inexpensive ones at my local Albertsons). It gets mighty hot back there and this would make the place just a smidgen bit more inviting on a hot summer's day. I'd like to add outdoor string lights for some night time ambiance. I also want to pick up a few hooks to attach to fence near the patio for hanging flower pots. Actual plants in the ground wouldn't last long with my dogs who love to dig and eat plants. I would love to put up a few wall hangings but I don't think the husband would appreciate me putting holes in the siding (sigh). I also want to find an outdoor loveseat/bench for lounging. A fountain would be a nice touch too if I could find a reasonably priced one.


HGTV's Rate My Space patio by mikedan1

This patio is welcoming, cozy, and private. I love the idea of a canvas tarp as shade.


I'm looking forward to grilling on the weekends and dining on the patio watching the sunset (oh and a nice glass of wine).