06 May 2010

Get Packin'

We are leaving in less than 1 month for Hawaii! I am so excited but a little scared of baby + airplane + 2.5 hr flight followed by a 3 hr lay over and a 5 hr flight. Asher is riding as a lap baby because I am going to milk this for all its worth! Tickets to Hawaii are expensive. 


Since I'm too cheap to pay to check a second bag (at least one way) I have to figure out how to bring all the baby junk and my stuff. Thankfully I have learned how to fit a weeks worth of clothing into a carry-on bag and this being Hawaii means less bulky clothing. When we visited Paris I managed to pack all my stuff for a week long trip in winter into a carry-on bag. 



The one I have is from Ebags and I love it! I still plan to bring it as a carry-on but am limiting my items to only what fits in here leaving the big suitcase for all of Asher's junk. Of course after I fill my bag I'm going to move items around between both of the bags (because you never know what can happen with an infant and I want to be prepared). 



There are a few things I need to make sure to bring, namely a dress for the baby's baptismal (and a swim suit or two). This sort of messes up my plans. I don't want to wear flip flops (although with it being Hawaii this is a perfectly acceptable shoe option) with the dress so I need to also pack shoes. Preferably I'd want to pack shoes that could multi task but the ones I have in mind wouldn't fit the bill and are the only pair in my limited shoe collection that could possibly go with the dress. So now I need to somehow figure out how to bring these or get a new dress. 

So far on my shoe list I have:
1) flip flops (just the cheapy ones from Old Navy). these won't take up much space.
2) new balance running/walking shoes (also multi task as hiking shoes because I'm sure not hauling the hiking boots). these will take up the most space if packed...but I hate wearing them anywhere other than the gym or on a walk.
3) black leather flats (i wear this with everything and i was hoping they'd go with the dress but they don't)
4) black nine west wedges (to wear with dress)

I'm not sure which of these options I'll be wearing on the plane, probably not the wedges or the flip flops. I'm not really into wearing running shoes unless I'm working out anymore so that leaves my flats. I have a pair of sketchers that I use when I don't want to use the flats but want to feel a bit dressier than wearing the running shoes but that would mean packing another pair of shoes into my little suitcase. I also don't think this pair would be a very good option as we plan to do some little hikes. 

As far as clothing goes, I plan to have just a few bottoms and a lot of tops to wear. After all my parents have a washing machine so I can do laundry whenever I please. 

1) 2 pairs of skirts (black and brown)
2) 1 pair of jeans (will be wearing on the plane)
3) 1 pair of jeans capris
4) 6 or 7 tops (basic v neck variety here, I'm not fancy)
5) 1 lightweight cord jacket (will be wearing on the plane)
6) undergarments (which honestly take up little space)
7) dress for baptismal 
8) swim suit (also take up minimal space)

Toiletries are a small area, I transfer all my items into small travel sized bottles. 

To further maximze space I plan to put my soft items into space bags (you know those corny infomercials you see). At any rate they actually work. I use them to store bedding and baby clothes that Asher's grown out of. I've already packed up all of the clothes I'll be brining for Asher and they compressed down nicely (of course I may still be adding a few items here and there). 

It's mind blowing how much stuff a baby needs (well at least what we as parents think they need). On his list are the following:


    sposies for the plane (cause I'm not dealing with a CD)
    cloth diapers and inserts (should hopefully squish down nicely in the space bags)
    blanket (will also be squished into a space bag)
    receiving blankets (see above)
    sheets for pack n play (3)
    baby wipes (just the travel packs as we'll use cloth wipes once we get settled)
    clothes- onesies, rompers, jackets
    hats
    sun glasses
    swim suit: rash guards (3)/swim trunks (2)
    toys- ?? (there are going to take a ton of space)
    toiletries- body wash, lotion, diaper cream, nail cutter, nasal aspirator, saline, brush,      sunscreen, bug spray
    bowls/spoons (which really he only needs a spoon, we can use different bowls)
    pacis
    netting for pack n play
    netting for stroller (to keep mosquitoes away from my precious)
    jogging stroller (not sure if we plan to lug this through an airport)
    baby food  (I found baby food that comes in a packet instead of a glass jar, so nice to pack)
    baby proofing stuff (like wall plugs)
    
Some items I'm leaving behind are things like beach towels which are huge and take up lots of valuable space. My parents have plenty for us to use and if I was traveling someplace that didn't have them I'd buy some at my destination and then consider leaving them behind on the way back. 

I'm not too worried if I forget something for him, things can always be purchased at our destination. We've already shipped a car seat to my parents so we didn't have to worry about dragging it along (and I was worried they'd damage the seat because we all know how careful they are with our luggage). And having a seat with my parents means we don't have to worry about bringing one for a while (or at least until he's two). For the other major items like a stroller and a place to sleep, we are borrowing stuff from a family member whose been gracious enough to lend them out.