09 June 2009

Cloth diapers and other crunchy alternatives


I've found myself lately on a green kick. My parents have a solar panel for their hot water and we always recycled aluminum cans (because in Hawaii you get $.05 per can). We have started recycling our plastics, cardboard, aluminum, glass, and paper. 

To go the extra step I want to cloth diaper the little one. Not only is it earth friendly but it's cost effective and better for baby's skin. It also promotes potty training at an earlier age (who wouldn't want that?). A good nestie friend of mine gave me some great info and pointed me in the right direction with regard to cloth diapers. At first it seemed like an overwhelming choice because of all the different types of cloth diapers out there. Whenever I tell someone I'm thinking of cloth diapering they look at my like I'm nuts. Everyone pictures the cloth diapers our mothers and grandmothers used. I don't plan to go that route at all. I plan on using fitted or all-in-one diapers. No pins or clips for me.

In addition we'll probably be using cloth wipes instead of disposable wipes. I say if we are out and about though, it's disposables all the way! 

I've found a wealth of information on jilliansdrawers and from a website from another nestie, PeachyPear's Bio. My friend also recommends the kissaluvs and thirsties covers for newborns. I've purchased a few of these, 1 new and a few used ones. We may do disposables for the first month or so and then transition to cloth. I don't want to get to overwhelmed that I fail.

Besides the fact that they are cost efficient and environmentally friendly, they are so darn cute!



I made my own laundry detergent using borax, washing soda, and soap. I think it turned out okay, I washed a load of clothes and they came out clean. I am not sure if my ratios were correct as I was getting varying information from different sites. I want to try Crunchy Clean since I have heard rave reviews about their laundry soaps. 

I have also cut back on using paper towels and household cleaning agents. I am using baking soda, white vinegar, and dish soap mostly. I still use the toilet bowl disinfectant though, I have a ton and I can't imagine vinegar disinfecting a toilet bowl, ewwww. I also have a ton of Clorox wipes to use up before I am 100% on the green clean team. 

I just ordered a ceramic coffee mug. It's the coolest thing ever. I love love love coffee travel mugs. This one looks just like a paper coffee cup but it is ceramic and has a silicone lid. Way to fake everyone out!



I know this isn't a green item but I found it on a website and I think I *need* one. After baby arrives I will be getting my drink on and this could come in handy.



How handy would something like this come when you are on a picnic or out hiking?? Plus it doesn't look like a bottle of wine so it'd be harder to get busted by the police if you're say drinking in a park...mmm I miss wine.