05 January 2010

I need a cat


About a week ago I was sitting in bed and heard scurrying sounds above me. I told the OH but he told me I was nuts and that I was really hearing our rabbits. I suspected maybe a squirrel got in and was loose in the attic as the animal sounded heavy. Sooo, I get home from Denver last night and this morning I am standing by the stove and see what look like mouse turds on the exhaust fan over the stove. I immediately look behind the microwave for more mouse turds thinking it was running around the counter tops (we had mice a loong time ago and they did this). Hmmm, no mouse turds on the counters, that's weird...why are they only up here. I get on a chair to look above the kitchen cabinets and see no mouse turds. Finally I open the cabinets above the stove and there is mouse poop everywhere!!! Ewww, all over my flour, baking supplies, walnuts, bread crumbs, etc. I pull everything down while vacuuming so mouse poop doesn't get all over the kitchen. I wiped down all the surfaces with clorox wipes and throw out all the baking supplies. Then I proceeded to shove foil into any crevice I can find in the cabinet (which also has the exhaust tube running through it). I found evidence of drywall and chewed foil duct work sitting on a picture just under the exhaust fan. The stupid mice are trying to get in via the attic now. I'm afraid I need to call an exterminator to determine where they are getting into the house and getting them out of the attic before they cause any more damage. I like pet mice but not the wild kind that carry diseases. I need a cat.