05 January 2010
Adventures in Cooking
For NYE dinner the husband and I decide we'd make Steak au Poivre, Champagne Risotto, and Creme Brulee. Dinner was amazing but was a little bit of an adventure getting there. Things were going good, I started the creme brulee earlier in the day so it had time to chill in the fridge. I put the baby down to sleep, popped open a bottle of champagne, and we started making dinner. I got the risotto started and he fried the steaks. The husband was afraid to make the cognac creme sauce so I took over. I turned the stove off and added cognac to the pan. Then I light the cognac on fire. I almost lost my eye brows! The whole area light on fire! The fumes from the cognac traveled faster than I expected. Thankfully the flames subsided after blowing on the pan. I can still smell burnt varnish or something around the stove, lol. We did have a fire extinguisher nearby but boy did that give me a heart attack. Note to self, no lighting alcohol on fire under the low clearance cabinets again. I'd post pictures but my camera is MIA at the moment.
