15 October 2009

Baby News


I know it's been a long time since I updated! Life with a new baby sure keeps you busy. Little Asher William was born on 8/21/09 at 12:23 am. He was just about 1 week early. He was a healthy 7 lbs, 5 oz and 20 3/4 inches.
On the morning that my water broke I was being productive. I started feeling really nauseous so I lay down. I was talking to Bob on the phone saying what if this means the baby's coming? Well my water broke on 10/20 at 10:30 am as I was getting ready to go in for an appointment a few minutes after I got off the phone with Bob. I called Bob back excitedly and told him he better meet me at the Dr's office. They confirmed my water broke and they wanted me to head to the hospital. We ran home and grabbed some last minute items and a quick snack. I wish I could say the labor and delivery were uneventful but we had a few scares. Asher's heartbeat was erratic so the nurses were constantly rearranging me. When he finally came out he was just fine, no funny heart problems to speak of. He was alert and absolutely adorable!! I was bummed I didn't get to see him right away, they had to clean him up but Bob got to check him out.

Asher was actually nameless for the first week of his life. We had a few names we liked and we were waiting to see which he best fit. Turns out we didn't think he fit any of those names so we went back to the drawing board and our baby name book. We found a different name with a nice meaning and decided to use it. It means blessed one in Hebrew. I had actually heard the name twice in the years before we were even pregnant and thought, hmmm, that's a different name. We were also considering Ashton, Liam, and Alen. I loved Liam since it is a form of William and William is a family name of Bob's. I thought it would be so cool to have a alternative use of the name, but ultimately thought the name was too popular.

With the exception of a cold the little guy is doing great. Today he's about 10 lbs 6 oz and just under 23 inches. He has his 2 month appointment next week but is technically 2 months old tomorrow. He's getting big so fast. Today he rolled from his tummy to his back but I missed it both times! Asher had some tummy time today and when my back was turned he got from his tummy to his back. When I tried to get him to do it again he fussed and sadly tummy time was over. He's begun smiling at use when we talk to him and he laughs at me some times. His favorite toy is this cool lamp my mom bought that spins and displays images on the walls, he loves watching them and watches them every night at bedtime.